Wednesday, November 12, 2008

88 mph

Ok. I'll admit it "88 mph" does stand how fast I was going when the nice state trooper clocked me on his radar Monday morning. It's also how fast I was going when he ever so mercifully gave me a warning. It is not how fast I normally drive. My husband has warned me to use my cruise control and to set it on 69 or 70 (no chance of a ticket at that speed not to mention saving on gas mileage) but he always has a spiritual aspect as well (he's bad, I mean good about that). If we ask God to bless our travel but then break the law to get there, then we're essentially asking God to bless our sin, how crazy would that be?

But admitting my shortcomings is not what this blog is about. 88 mph also stands for the number of times I hear "Mommy" or some derivative of it during a one hour span each evening. It usually starts when I make the last round of pickups (Christen and Nora Kate get picked up first at daycare, then down the street to Grandma and Pop's to get Kyle, and finally across town to Mama Pam and Papa's to get Olivia, Rebekah, and Tucker). They all pile in to the van and start telling me about their day. The first 10-15 times I hear my name it's all at once and I couldn't tell you which child even said it. Then it becomes a round robin where everyone is trying to get their little bit in. It can be overwhelming at times. I'm pretty good at tuning out whatever I don't want to hear - but lately that has been backfiring on me as the kids will be doing something they shouldn't be and when I get on to them they tell me that they asked and I didn't say no so they thought that was a yes - did I lose you? Sometimes I lose myself.

Thanks for all your prayers about daycare. When I picked Nora Kate up last night she was in good spirits. Mrs. Lori came over and told me about her day - crying stopped shortly after I left and she only cried a little at nap time, she then asked Nora Kate if she was going to come back and with a big smile she said, "Yes". What a good feeling that was. We proceeded to have a good evening, still extra clingy but to be honest I don't mind the attention because it reminds me how much she loves and still needs me despite my ever growing absence in her life (tears now so I'll stop about that for now). This morning she was quiet on our drive to school and started asking me to stay as we pulled into the parking lot. I prodded her into helping me take Christen to Mrs. Pat, as we got in to room I placed Christen in the floor to play and Nora Kate asked to stay with her. I told her she was too big and that she would have to go to the toddler room next door. About that time Mrs. Pat made my day - she said that Nora Kate could stay for a few minutes if she'd like (to make the transition a little easier). So with that, I asked for a kiss, said goodbye and off I went - NO TEARS! Thank you Mrs. Pat!

Pray for Eric tomorrow morning. I'll be back in class and he'll have full drop off duty again. Pray that his will be as easy as mine was this morning. Pray for Nora Kate too. While you're already there on your knees, give in a good word for other children as well. Our focus has really been on Nora Kate this week, may they understand her need for our attention and know we not neglecting them. Pray for us to use our time as wisely as possible and to be parents that will guide them in the way they should go.

Maybe this blog is about my shortcomings. For me to take time and reflect on how I’m doing as a wife, insurance agent, nursing student, friend, counselor, chauffeur, cook, maid, daughter, mommy. I hope each of you has someone special in your life to make you want to get up and live life to the fullest each day. If you’re as blessed as I am you have many special people in your life. 88 mph. That’s the number of times I hope I hear "mommy" again tonight… but who’s counting anyway.

No comments: