Monday, November 17, 2008

Women shouldn't buy large appliances.

So last week we noticed our frozen fruit sorbet wasn't so frozen anymore. Upon investigating, neither was our ice cream. I promptly moved all of these important staples to the small stand alone freezer until we could diagnose a problem or replace the refrigerator. Being it's probably 30 years old and has been sweating bad for the last year we decided it was time to replace it. Eric had to work Saturday and since I would be making the call on color and what kind of water filter it has (you know the important stuff) I decided to go to buy a refrigerator. Once I had found the one, the only deciding factor was can they deliver today and will they haul away the old one - yes to both, so it was a done deal.

Uhhhhummm.

We speed back home (not literally, I did obey the speed limit signs... I think), I start unloading the contents of the old fridge, finding gloves and disinfectant for what I fear might be under it. The nice men arrive, remove the old one, and bring in my nice new, black, water-filtering, ice cream freezing, coke chilling refrigerator. The only problem is that I didn't measure it. I did think about it, I did call Eric and J before writing the check. We all agreed that width would be the only problem and that since it sat at the end of the cabinets with no wall to the other side we would be safe. Well, we were wrong! It was about one-half inch too tall. So, here I am most of my day is gone, I have a huge refrigerator sitting in the middle of my kitchen and I still haven't studied for my test that is on Monday (today... more later). The moral of the story is to always measure before you buy or let a man do the picking so you have someone to blame.

Kyle, Nora Kate, Christen and I stayed home from church so I could study - well the actual reason is because the girls were coughing and had runny noses. I secretly thought I would study - only God doesn't think that's a good reason to skip church so every time I sat down He would have Nora Kate fall off a bed or run into arm of the couch. Needless to say - I found it necessary to give them most of my attention until the cavalry arrived later. Once the cavalry did arrive I decided to try studying in the peace and quiet of my room - only since my room isn't located in a dungeon somewhere there is no peace and quiet. If you piece together the time I did spend studying it would be a fair to say I got in an hour or so. In lieu of the 4 hours per day for a week that my instructor suggested. Don't despair - I know the outcome.

Nora Kate woke up wanting her Maamaw this morning. She enjoyed her time with her Friday evening. I reassured her that she would get to see her Tuesday evening when I have to go to Decatur. If you haven't heard I am a runner up in a nursing scholarship. Ordinarily runner up would disappoint me, but this time it meant $2,000! I have to be at Dekalb Medical on Tuesday for a reception. They asked that I say a few words. I'm not sure if they really know me; I've never been asked to speak and kept it at "a few words". I am really nervous though, I don't know if they're expecting me to say a few words in appreciation or what nursing means to me or who knows what. When I applied for the application I wrote this really wordy little narrative that basically says being a nurse will utilize the skills I have cultivated as a mom and that regardless of the contributions I will make to society as a nurse it will not be any greater than the one I make raising my children.

Tucker and Rebekah are busy preparing for Christmas concerts at school. Kyle is giving Ms. Mary and Ms. Boob (her name is Dawn and she goes by Boo which Kyle won't say, go figure) a run for their money, she's learning a lot in school. Olivia is just trying to stay in school, I mean at school. She likes school it just seems she is always sick with something or another. Most of you know the story of her congestive heart failure in March 2007, I want to try and chronicle it here (someday) so you will know how miraculous God really is. Olivia and Rebekah are taking piano lessons at Stephens' Music Co. and Tucker is taking guitar (that's a plug if you need any instruments, accessories or lessons see stephens-music.com). We're hoping there will be more joy and less noise in the future.

My mom, grandmother and aunt are headed to New York for the week; please pray for safe travels and good weather. If you have time, remember me around 6:00 tomorrow evening. And by the way I got an "A" on that test this morning. Thanks for caring.

So that's a lot more than you asked for, wait, you didn't ask for any of it did you? Who's counting anyway?

Have a wonderful week! God Bless!
Heather

No comments: