Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Big girl school... troubles.

So who's the big girl? Nora Kate! She has started daycare and is having a little trouble adjusting to her early morning routine. It's only day 2 so I still have hope that this will all work out. We decided to start Christen and Nora Kate in daycare so Eric's mom could get some well needed rest. (She's been the childcare provider for the last 12 years.) She has several health conditions that really need her attention, please remember her in your prayers.

Back to the situation at hand, Eric took Nora Kate on day 1 because I had an early morning class and couldn't. He called me to let me know that drop off was absolutely horrible. He said she cried like never before (I'm guessing he might have too). I reassured him, as mothers and wives often have to, that she would be fine and that it would take a few days for her to get used to her new schedule. When I went to pick her up yesterday evening she ran to me like I've never seen, I got the biggest hug I've ever gotten too! I asked how her day had been, if she'd played on the playground, etc. She indicated that she did have a good day so I got brave and asked if she was going to come back tomorrow - to which she said, "No!". She then proceeded to breakdown crying. I felt so bad. Eric's been mad that I made this decision and now Nora Kate was having a mini-meltdown.

After we got in the van we talked about her day and how much fun she had. I told her that Mommy would take her to "big girl school" tomorrow, that seemed to make her happy. So we continued to talk into the evening about her day and how much fun today was going to be. She was extra clingy and needed a lot of mommy time - which upset daddy, because up until 7:45 Monday morning she was most definitely a daddy's girl. She wanted me to hold her last night and much of this morning.

We talked all the way to school and as we got closer and I began to talk about being a big girl and not crying when mommy went to work, to which she said, "You stay with me." I then realized that she thought by my taking her to school that I would be staying with her. You could see in her eyes how disappointed, worried, and possibly even scared she was. She then began to cry and she continued to cry as I took Christen to her room (who by the way doesn't care where she stays - she's very content, Mrs. Pat says we just have to get her to go to sleep in the bed by herself now). Mrs. Lori took Nora Kate from me so I could get to work, she continued to cry - which turned into screaming. Please pray that God will calm her fears (ours too!) and that she will adjust quickly.

One final note, I like the title of our blog but I can't decide on an anchor verse for us. I was going to do this big beginning post that explained why we have 6 kids, what we believe, etc., but I just haven't found the time and I don't know if I have all the answers. I decided to go ahead and just begin blogging so I could get back into the swing of writing and to keep you up to date on all things Guthrie. Hope your day has gotten off to a better start than mine, but who's counting anyway?

Heather

No comments: