Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Eric

So I wanted to take time to look back on 2008 and to reflect on all the good God has done in my life. I say good because we know that "all things work together for the good of those called according to God's purpose." I was going to start by doing a different post for each of our children. After yesterday's post I decided that I needed to address the greatest gift outside of salvation that God has blessed me with and that would be my dear sweet husband.

Fifteen years ago, God changed my life. He brought this wonderful, totally not for me person into my life. I can't remember the exact time Eric began coming to Meadowdale but I do remember My first recollection of him. One day while shopping at Walmart with my grandmother, Eric passed our way and said, "Hi." My grandmother looked at me and said, "Who is that?" I'll have to admit that there was a little bit of snobbiness in her voice, maybe even a lot of it. I said, "That happens to be best person I know." Not sure where that came from - at that time I hadn't had a lot of contact with him, but from that day on there was this bizarre attraction. He had started working with the youth at Meadowdale during a time when I was running from God - doing plenty of things I shouldn't have been with people I shouldn't have been around. Our paths crossed a few more times. He even invited the guy I was dating at the time to come to church - He said I shouldn't be dating anyone that wasn't in church.

Maybe it was my hypocrisy, but that guy dumped me shortly thereafter. Our paths seemed to cross more frequently and there was definitely a mutual attraction - it might have been that whole "my dad's going to hate this guy because he's everything I was warned not to bring home, so I'm going after him" thing - more likely it was God weaving a beautiful story into place. Whatever it was, it changed my life forever. Within 2 weeks of our first "date" we knew we wanted to be married, within 2 months we were engaged and 12 months later we were married.

Our marriage has been filled with hard times financially, physically, mentally, spiritually - just like most of you. But through it all God has been so faithful and in the last year I have seen a side of Eric that has really blown me away. It has taken time to look back and see that he has loved me thru some seemingly unlovable times - I have pictures to prove it. Not that our physical appearance is what we should base our affections on - but as women I do feel we should do our best to be attractive for our husbands - that's another blog for a different day. My attitude hasn't always been the most attractive either - I know that's hard for you to imagine but it's true. Anyhow - the part that I love is how he loves me. He is a man of God, he honors our vows, he made a commitment to God and the love I feel from him today is hundred times deeper than the love I first felt.

Since I began going back to school he does the laundry (even if it means getting up at 3:00 in the morning), he takes the kids to school, does doctor duty, you name it and if I need it to be done he's there.

In fifteen years, Eric has never looked twice at another woman, he hasn't commented on how they look, not in person, on TV, in magazines - nothing! I hear comments made by other men, married men. It was just recently that I realized I've never heard Eric ever comment on other women. He has never once said a negative thing about me. I've taken him for granted; I didn't realize what I had until the Lord revealed those things in others around me. I know that scripture teaches us that no one is good but God, but I tell you, Eric is as good as any husband on this earth will be. He honors Jesus by honoring me and our commitment. I challenge you men to love your wives; I mean really love them - the way God intends.

Eric - I love you more today than I ever have. You mean more than I could ever verbalize. You've shown me what it means to love God and love each other. I pray you find peace and encouragement in your walk today. I pray you will accept the challenge God set before you many months ago and leap out on faith to serve Him with your talents. I'll support you all the way. I'm so thankful God gave you to me.

Friends and Family -
Be blessed today!

Heather

No comments: