Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kyle

What can you say about Kyle?

Let me tell you how we explained Kyle to her new Pre-k teacher this past fall. Ms. Mary (whom we know because she had Olivia 8 years ago) called to introduce herself and ask if there was anything she should know about Kyle prior to orientation. I explained to her that my dad had been waiting to hear who the lucky teacher would be so he could begin praying for her by name. Not that Kyle is a problem child but she is very high strung to say the least. Ms. Mary asked if she was bright like Olivia, my response was, "Well, she is bright, but you have to watch out because Kyle is more street smart than book smart, she's sassy and won't take anything off anybody."

Papa told her once that he would, "Pin her ears back." She was quite upset and said, "You will not pee in my ears!" After regaining his composure he teased her about coming to her house, which she replied, "I'll punch you in the nose if you come to my house!" Kyle keeps us in stitches.

This past March while I was on maternity leave, Kyle helped me with getting ready in the mornings by keeping an eye on Nora Kate. One morning she came to the bathroom to tell me she had us all ready to go. I asked what she meant. She had gotten 3 week old Christen off the middle of my bed and not only put her in the car seat but buckled up as well. I ran for fear that Christen would have been choking or had a hand pinched in the buckle. For those of you with children who have had to ride in infant car seat/carriers you know what a difficult task this was. My fear was unfounded, she was content in her seat, never to have known what could have been. I turned to Kyle and thanked her for helping but that she should never move her again.

Kyle has a special place in our hearts, all of our children do. However, I found out I was pregnant with Kyle exactly 6 weeks after losing a baby to miscarriage. God sent her to us to help ease the pain of that loss. What a special way to divert our focus from loss and grief to that of a new life. It was at that time in our marriage that we realized only God could number the children we would or wouldn't have. She didn't take the place of that baby, but she did bring unimaginable joy and laughter to our lives.

Kyle, you are such a special little girl. We love you so much. You have a way of lighting up room. When things seem so serious you have a way of reminding us to look at the lighter side of life. I pray you will always be true to yourself and the Lord that created you. God sent you to us just when we needed you most. I love how you always want to accomplish things on you own, but rest assured that we will be here when you can't.

No comments: